How to Get A Medical Marijuana ID Card in Pennsylvania
As of the beginning of 2020, over 150,000 Pennsylvania residents have registered for the state’s new medical marijuana program. That number is growing. However, some patients do still have questions about how to get PA medical marijuana ID card needed to purchase medical products from dispensaries like ours. process. One of the most common questions we hear is about the age requirement.
Can You Get a Medical Card Under 18?
No. Only patients who are 18 and over with one of the qualifying conditions can be approved for a PA medical marijuana ID card. People under the age of 18 cannot get their own card from the state. However, they may be eligible to use medical marijuana products that are purchased by a certified caregiver.
Patients under the age of 18 with a serious medical condition may obtain medical marijuana through a caregiver. For patients under the age of 18, a caregiver may be a parent or legal guardian, a person designated by a parent or guardian, or an individual approved by the department upon a sufficient showing that no parent or legal guardian is appropriate or available.
How to Get a PA Medical Marijuana ID
You must have a doctor’s certification to obtain medical marijuana. It is necessary that a physician who is registered with the PA Department of Health Medical Marijuana Program conduct an in-person examination and review of your health records. The Solevo Wellness team works with licensed medical marijuana physicians who can help with your medical marijuana certification. Click the link in the prior sentence to get started!
Or, you can proceed without Solevo’s help and follow the steps below.
Take the following steps in order to get the certification:
- Go to pa.gov online to begin the registration process and find doctors who are able to certify you.
- The site contains the list of physicians registered with the Department of Health who can recommend medical marijuana.
- If you are under 18 years of age, or you are homebound, a caregiver will need to register on your behalf.
- You should be diagnosed with one of 23 qualified serious medical conditions as certified by a health care professional. Once the physician recommends medical marijuana for your qualified condition, you will get the certification. Patient certification must be renewed on a frequency that the doctor recommends.
- After obtaining physician certification, complete the online registration by paying for a medical marijuana ID card.
There are some important factors to keep in mind.
- There is a $50 processing fee for the ID card.
- Individuals participating in Medicaid, PACE/PACENET, CHIP, SNAP and WIC may qualify for a discounted processing fee.
- The PA Department of Health will send patients their medical marijuana ID card.
You or your caregiver should then take your medical marijuana id card to a licensed PA Department of Health-approved medical marijuana dispensary location in Pennsylvania.
You must obtain medical marijuana at a PA Department of Health-regulated dispensary.
If you are over 18 years old and homebound, you will need to designate a caregiver to pick up your medical marijuana: the caregiver must be at least 21 years old.
A patient can designate up to two caregivers. If you are under 18 years of age, your caregiver must be one of the following:
- An individual that is a parent or legal guardian of the patient
- An individual designated by a parent or legal guardian
- An appropriate individual approved by the Department of Health if no parent or guardian is appropriate or available
We’ve also put together this three page guide for easy reference.