Are you wondering how to store medical marijuana products properly? There are a few key elements to consider when storing cannabis for any short or extended period. Overall, cannabis is best when stored in a cool, dark place. Well-stored cannabis products can last a very long time without sacrificing degradation and quality. Now that dry leaf medical marijuana has officially been released, patients may have questions surrounding the care of this new form of medical marijuana. There are certain key elements to consider, as well as general tips, for how to store medical marijuana products.
Key elements to consider:
Excessive heat can dry out the cannabinoids and terpenes that have taken months to develop, so keeping your cannabis in a cool, dark place is important. Mildew and other molds on cannabis and other organic matter thrive in temperatures between 77° and 86° F, so the basic rule of thumb is to keep it cool.
Warm air holds more moisture than cold air, and that’s why humidity is another important consideration when storing medical marijuana. Humidity control can keep mildew and other mold contaminants away from cannabis. Storing your products in a controlled environment will help to maintain and enhance color, consistency, aroma, and flavor.
Harmful UV rays will degrade your cannabis over time because they break down many organic and synthetic materials. The rule of thumb is to keep your products out of sunlight and even direct light inside. Keeping cannabis out of direct light will also help control the temperature.
Storing cannabis, the dry leaf form especially, in a container with just the right amount of air is crucial to keeping it fresh and true to its original form. Having too little air can greatly affect the relative humidity. On the other hand, too much air can speed up the degradation process as the cannabinoids and other organic matter are exposed to oxygen.
So, what’s the general consensus? Temperature, humidity, light, and air should all be considered when caring for your medical marijuana. There are slight differences in how to store the dry leaf form and other products, and below are tips for each.
4 Tips for how to care for dry leaf:
- Store out of direct light in a cool, dry place. Do not leave your cannabis in a car.
- Store your dry leaf in a glass jar that is properly sealed, preferably on a low shelf.
- Do not store your dry leaf in the fridge or freezer. Freezing temperatures cause the fragile trichomes to become brittle and break off, almost like little icicles.
- Handle the dry leaf gently, usually with tongs, chopsticks, or a similar utensil. Touching the dry leaf form with your bare hands too much can remove its sticky trichomes. Trichomes are the source of a plant’s terpene profile and cannabinoid content.
7 tips for how to care for other medical marijuana products such as concentrates, cartridges, tinctures, salves, etc.
- Store out of direct sunlight in a cool, dry place. Do not keep your medical marijuana in your car where it can get hot very quickly.
- Store medical marijuana products in glass jars in an upright position. Sealed jars or packaging can minimize oxygen exposure.
- Consider using storage products that are dark or opaque in color. For instance, dark glass containers work best to prolong the life span of your product.
- Don’t store products in plastic bags. Plastic often has a static charge that can attract precious trichomes. If you absolutely need to use a plastic bag, only use it for short-term storage of small quantities of cannabis.
- Separate each strain to maintain their individual profiles.
- The refrigerator is a great place to store different products (except for dry leaf) because it is a cool, dark place.
- Keep your products inside and away from any hot areas of your house such as electronics or appliances that give off heat. Consider storing them in a low cupboard or shelf, since heat rises.
Solevo Wellness™ is a medical marijuana dispensary based in Pittsburgh, PA, dedicated to providing medical marijuana relief solutions for Pennsylvanians certified with serious medical conditions such as intractable pain including arthritis, and other serious medical conditions including glaucoma, cancer, autism, Parkinson’s disease, MS, IBD, HIV/AIDS, PTSD, and more. Founded by leading physicians, pharmacists, and medical professionals, Solevo offers personal, professional care and quality medical marijuana products.